BAGUIO CITY – the city government is already prepared for the expected increase of waste which will be generated in the summer capital with the influx of visitors.
This was bared by City General Services Officer Romeo Concio with the provision of eight new dump trucks already ready for service notwithstanding the two additional compactors in stand-by and also ready to be used.
The 8 dump trucks cost 29.7 million while the 2 compactors cost 15.9 million.
It can be recalled that the city government targeted the purchase of 25 new dump trucks to replace the old ones to strengthen its waste collection system.
City mayor Mauricio Domogan Wednesday said, “ the city is expecting the influx of visitors in the summer capital this month due to the Mines Safety Week convention, the Fil-Am Golf Tournament and the expected arrival of tourists wanting to escape the traffic gridlock in Metro Manila for the APEC Meet.
Domogan Said, “the increase in tourists and visitors will also increase waste generation that can lead to garbage issues if no plans are prepared.”
Domogan also said visitors who wants to enjoy the city’s environ can camp out in areas where basic services are present such as comfort rooms, wash rooms, bathrooms, garbage bins and abundant water to ensure cleanliness.
The chief Executive said the city thru the GSO is also preparing for the immediate deployment of emergency street sweepers and garbage collectors if necessary.
Concio said,” there is approximately P500,000 as emergency fund from the MGD Golf tournament last year and P400,000 this year which can be used in case emergency manpower is needed.
The GSO is also set to purchase 2 water tankers that can be converted to dump truck early next year to be used for flushing purposes and hauling.
Concio said,” hopefully, the water tankers can be used to flush out sludge in the central business district in time for the Panagbenga.” /Paul Rillorta